Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

I purchased 6 1-kg cones of wool about 6 or 7 years ago with the intention of making blankets out of it. The labels on the cones look like this:



I had two cones of pearl and one of gray that I am using for the warp. Since the wool was labeled 2/9, I used my math skills to determine that the wool should be about 2400 yds/pound (JaggerSpun's 2/8 is 2240 yards/pound) and I was going to warp the loom for double weave at 32 epi.

HOWEVER--when I started winding my warp this weekend, I found that the pearl was actually about 2000 yards/pound. No problem, I can warp the loom at 24-26 epi, right? Well, when I went to wind the gray, I found that it was much thinner than the pearl--about 3000 yards/lb--even though it was labeled 2/9 as well! 



And that wouldn't be that big of a problem except that I was planning on creating a gradient from pearl at one end of the blanket to gray at the other. So I'm going to have to really hone those math skills for an ever changing epi across the width of the reed.

I don't think it will matter which reed I use!

No comments:

Post a Comment