Friday, June 17, 2011

Scorched!

The 8/2 tencel scarves that have been in the works for the last couple of weeks are finished.  Here are three of them:


I use a Singer steam press on almost all my handwovens and have pressed dozens of scarves on it.  I've always used the cotton setting for tencel and I've never experienced any problems before. 


But alas.....when pressing the lavendar scarf, it scorched!  A huge 18" patch of scorched tencel!



Washing didn't take it out. How devastating!  Then I remembered that there was some dye recently purchased for a special project coming up.  Overdye!  After dying it in a bucket, it came out streaked and uneven.  It couldn't be dyed in the front-load washer. Then I remembered my Wonder Washer! 


I've used this for felting, but have never used it for anything else.  Set the wash cycle to "gentle" and the timer to the maximum 15 minutes and went out to weed the garden.  After about an hour, I gave it a good rinse, dried it for 10-15 minutes in the dryer with some towels and gave it a press with my hand iron.  I wasn't going to trust my steam press!  It came out just gorgeous!


I love it!  It's going to be my "jeans" scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment