Monday, June 13, 2011

The Learning Curve is Leveling Out

The AVL's been getting easier and easier to use.  It's amazing all the little things that work together to make this loom such a joy to use.  What a great loom.


That last week or so, I've been weaving another series of tencel scarves, this time with a white warp. This tencel was a different brand, and very luscious, super soft and smooth. Every time I get to the end of a scarf I've been hemstitching and then leaving about 12 inches of warp unwoven to twist into fringe.  I set the automatic cloth advance to about 4 beats to the inch and then beat to get to the 12 inches I need.  When the woven portion of the previous scarf left the front beam, the cloth would no longer advance because the tencel's too smooth.  The first time, I didn't realize what was happening and I ended up with tons and tons of tencel dust on my lap!


So on the next scarf I wove a few strands of heavy wool at about 2" intervals and the warp advanced with no problems.



The scarf above has a light blue weft. The one below has a lilac weft. I really like this pattern.





As soon as these scarves are done (I think I'm going to finish tonight!), I'm going to start warping the double width 2/9 wool blankets.  I'm a little daunted by the thought of warping 1000 ends on 16 shafts, but the sooner it's started the sooner it will be done.

1 comment: